Living above a car park is top of the pods
- Credit: Archant
Those struggling to get on the property ladder have been gifted an interesting new accommodation option in the form of the ZEDPod.
The unique system brings the concept of the starter home to a whole new level – quite literally – with houses built on stilts above car parks.
Award winning architect Bill Dunster devised the ZEDPod as a solution to the UK’s housing crisis, saying: “Can a car park also be a place to live? Well, yes, I think it can.
“During the day, commuters, shoppers and hospital visitors park just as they always have, but underneath the homes - with the added advantage of the bays now being covered.
“But at night, as the car parks empty, key workers and students return home to our highly space-efficient and eco-friendly homes - bringing life to otherwise deserted car park assets.
“The homes are free standing, self-sufficient in energy thanks to built-in PV and battery storage. Shared, covered outdoor areas provide further living and socialising space; there is even room for allotment gardens.”
The entry level model costs around £65,000 and can be bought outright if the air rights have been signed over. Alternatively, it can be installed then let for about £650 a month.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 8 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 9 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
If you’re interested in finding out more, there’s a ZEDPod currently in situ at the building science centre, BRE, in Watford. The next open house event is due to take place on February 7, 10am-12.30pm. To attend, RSVP to Ana Paun on firstname.lastname@example.org.