Living above a car park is top of the pods
- Credit: Archant
Those struggling to get on the property ladder have been gifted an interesting new accommodation option in the form of the ZEDPod.
The unique system brings the concept of the starter home to a whole new level – quite literally – with houses built on stilts above car parks.
Award winning architect Bill Dunster devised the ZEDPod as a solution to the UK’s housing crisis, saying: “Can a car park also be a place to live? Well, yes, I think it can.
“During the day, commuters, shoppers and hospital visitors park just as they always have, but underneath the homes - with the added advantage of the bays now being covered.
“But at night, as the car parks empty, key workers and students return home to our highly space-efficient and eco-friendly homes - bringing life to otherwise deserted car park assets.
You may also want to watch:
“The homes are free standing, self-sufficient in energy thanks to built-in PV and battery storage. Shared, covered outdoor areas provide further living and socialising space; there is even room for allotment gardens.”
The entry level model costs around £65,000 and can be bought outright if the air rights have been signed over. Alternatively, it can be installed then let for about £650 a month.
- 1 Teen suicide prevention charity appoints first ambassador
- 2 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 3 Abbey Theatre banner vanishes from St Albans park railings
- 4 de Havilland Aircraft Museum awarded £90k grant as it plans for May reopening
- 5 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 6 Former St Albans Mayor celebrates golden wedding
- 7 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Fantastic Mr Fox rescued from balcony with help of RSPCA
- 9 Church roof saved thanks to Lottery grant
- 10 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
If you’re interested in finding out more, there’s a ZEDPod currently in situ at the building science centre, BRE, in Watford. The next open house event is due to take place on February 7, 10am-12.30pm. To attend, RSVP to Ana Paun on email@example.com.