Landlords and tenants urged to follow carbon monoxide regulations
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Landlords are being urged to ensure that their properties are protected against the threat of carbon monoxide, in the wake of a government consultation on the matter.
The Review of the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations 2015 is looking into the effectiveness of the current regulations in the private rental sector, which require landlords to have a smoke alarm on every storey of a property and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room that contains a solid fuel burning appliance.
However, many tenants don’t know that it’s their responsibility to fit carbon monoxide alarms in any rooms that do not meet this criteria; the Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign revealed that a third of renters don’t have a single alarm at their property.
Allison Thompson, managing director at property specialist Leaders, says: “Carbon monoxide is something that no landlord or tenant should ever take a risk with. Landlords must meet their obligations to install an alarm in any room with a solid fuel burning appliance, while tenants should consider other areas of their homes that could benefit from an alarm.
“It is not only solid fuel burning appliances that pose a threat, as the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning extends to all types of combustion, including natural gas.
You may also want to watch:
“Carbon monoxide detectors do not break the bank but can save lives, so we always advise landlords and tenants to have them installed in any property with either solid fuel, oil or gas installations.”
While the government review is designed to gather evidence on the effectiveness of the current regulations, there is no indication that changes will occur as a result.
- 1 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 2 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 3 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 4 Two St Albans women recognised as inspirational entrepreneurs
- 5 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 6 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 7 Blocked drain at St Albans junction still not cleared months after it was first reported
- 8 'Nothing will take away what she has done to our daughter'
- 9 Future of St Albans Half Marathon secured as 2021 date set
- 10 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire market town of Hitchin
But with Department of Health figures showing that 50 people die each year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, it is hoped that landlords and tenants will each do their bit to help reduce risk.