“I have often thought about being a pedicurist or even a race horse owner!” - Joe Hughes, JW&Co Langleys, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
This week’s Meet the Agent Q&A was sent over to JW&Co Langleys’ St Albans branch.
Occupation: Lettings Director, JW&Co Langleys – St Albans office
What’s different about your agency?
I started at Langleys in 1976 from Hemel Hempstead and in 1977 moved to St Albans at 3 London Road. Barrie Lloyd joined me in 1977 to provide a sales and lettings joint business. Now as an enlarged JW&Co Langleys, we are able to offer a broader service than most other agents, both modern and personable, backed by a diverse team of knowledgeable staff. I came from a legal background, which helps with our landlords and tenants agreements. It’s great to be here 40 years on, and to work with the new management team.
Where do you live, with whom, and why did you choose your current property?
I live with my wife Sue in St Albans. We chose it for its quiet location, but it’s still central enough to walk to the city centre.
If you weren’t an estate agent, what would you be?
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 4 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 5 St Albans Pub Pride: Why we need to tackle monkeypox prejudice
- 6 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 7 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
I’d be a solicitor; or I have often thought about being a pedicurist or even a race horse owner!
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
In 1971 I bought a spacious modern 2-bed terrace house, in New House Park, London Road.
What is the most important advice you’d give a vendor?
Pick the right agent having done your research. Make sure you’re going to receive proper service from an office with friendly experienced staff who are people-oriented.
What’s the most shocking thing you’ve encountered in this profession?
The public’s often misconceived perception towards estate agents and the amount of work done for letting and sales and maintenance.
If you could have a holiday home, where would it be and what would it be like?
In Italy, on the east coast. It is stunning, traditional, with mountains and lovely people.