“I have often thought about being a pedicurist or even a race horse owner!” - Joe Hughes, JW&Co Langleys, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
This week’s Meet the Agent Q&A was sent over to JW&Co Langleys’ St Albans branch.
Occupation: Lettings Director, JW&Co Langleys – St Albans office
What’s different about your agency?
I started at Langleys in 1976 from Hemel Hempstead and in 1977 moved to St Albans at 3 London Road. Barrie Lloyd joined me in 1977 to provide a sales and lettings joint business. Now as an enlarged JW&Co Langleys, we are able to offer a broader service than most other agents, both modern and personable, backed by a diverse team of knowledgeable staff. I came from a legal background, which helps with our landlords and tenants agreements. It’s great to be here 40 years on, and to work with the new management team.
Where do you live, with whom, and why did you choose your current property?
You may also want to watch:
I live with my wife Sue in St Albans. We chose it for its quiet location, but it’s still central enough to walk to the city centre.
If you weren’t an estate agent, what would you be?
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
I’d be a solicitor; or I have often thought about being a pedicurist or even a race horse owner!
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
In 1971 I bought a spacious modern 2-bed terrace house, in New House Park, London Road.
What is the most important advice you’d give a vendor?
Pick the right agent having done your research. Make sure you’re going to receive proper service from an office with friendly experienced staff who are people-oriented.
What’s the most shocking thing you’ve encountered in this profession?
The public’s often misconceived perception towards estate agents and the amount of work done for letting and sales and maintenance.
If you could have a holiday home, where would it be and what would it be like?
In Italy, on the east coast. It is stunning, traditional, with mountains and lovely people.