How to make a room more multi-functional
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Space constraints and a growing trend for home working mean we often need to create multi-functional rooms in our properties.
From the living room/office to the play room/guest room there are many dual-purpose options in our homes. These spaces can often get overwhelmed with clutter and must work hard to accommodate both needs.
I am often asked by my clients how they can maintain order in a multi-functional room. So here are some of my top tips for organising a spare room to be used as both a workspace and guest room.
How often do guests come to stay? This will determine the size of your workspace.
You may also want to watch:
Clear and declutter
Clear out the spare room and create three piles – work space items, guest room items and anything that does not belong in this space (return to the correct room or purge to charity or the tip).
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 5 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 6 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 7 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 8 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 9 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 10 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
Desk and light
Next you need to decide the best position for your desk. Ideally this should be positioned next to the window to maximise the natural light. The size of your desk will depend on how often you need to convert the space into a guest room.
Next you need to find creative furniture solutions that make it easy to transform your workspace into a bedroom.
n Day beds: The Flekke day bed from IKEA has two storage drawers and can be converted to a double bed for guests. You can dress the bed as a sofa during the day with cushions and a throw. Additional bedding can be stored in the drawers under the bed. Alternatively, the drawers can be used to store work files/equipment.
n Vertical shelving: Again, the Kallax range from IKEA, with the option of boxes, is an ideal solution; it can hold work items while also offering guests a place to store their things.
n Door hooks: These can be used by guests to hang key items during their stay.
Have a look at Pinterest for fab ideas on colour and accessories that you can use to dress the room.
It’s important that a dual-purpose room is both desirable to work in and for guests to stay in.
If you need help organising your bedroom or decluttering other rooms in your home, please contact Tracy at Blissfully Organised Home Organisation and Decluttering for trusted, confidential support:
Tel: 07818 423 376