St Albans ‘more affordable than Salford’ says new rental index
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
St Albans is a more affordable rental location than either Leeds or Salford, surprising new research has revealed.
According to the latest rental affordability index compiled by Open Property Group, renting in this part of Herts typically requires 33 per cent of the average salary, compared to 35 per cent in the two northern cities.
Naturally, renting in St Albans is more expensive - £1,320 per month on average, against a typical salary of £47,507 - compared to £802/£27,712 in Leeds and £751/£25,649 in Salford.
This puts all three places over the 30 per cent threshold recommended by experts to ensure an adequate standard of living – a target reached by just 16 UK cities in the study.
Open Property Group used average income and rental price data to crown Durham the most affordable UK city to rent in, with just 21 per cent of the average monthly salary going towards accommodation.
You may also want to watch:
All of the 10 most affordable locations are up north, while Oxford topped the most expensive list (66 per cent of monthly income spent on rent), with Manchester the first non-southern location, in eighth place (39 per cent).
Openpropertygroup.com managing director Jason Harris-Cohen said: “The north continues to dominate the most affordable cities except for Manchester.
“Despite the sales market being challenging, the rental market has remained buoyant and reduced availability is keeping rental prices strong.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 5 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 6 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 7 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 8 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 9 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 10 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park