Home of the Week: Meadow Barn, Shendish
- Credit: Archant
There has been a manor at Shendish since the 13th century when the wealthy de Chenduit family were granted land in the area, building a manor on the site in around 1300.
Over the centuries, the property has passed down through a number of different owners and, during the Great War, was utilised by the British Army as a camp. By the 1930s, the property had become a sports and social club and today, it is a luxury hotel set in 160 acres of parkland (including an 18 hole golf course).
It is within this highly desirable, semi-rural and surprisingly accessible location that Meadow Barn can be found.
This impressive barn conversion offers great charm and character, ranging from cathedral doors to exposed beams; in conjunction with versatile and spacious accommodation of about 2,378 sq ft.
The 19th century mill town of Apsley, situated between Kings Langley and Hemel Hempstead, is half a mile away, providing a selection of shops, pubs, restaurants and a main line service to London Euston.
You may also want to watch:
Sue Trybus of Savills, who is handling the sale of Meadow Barn, said: “This is a rare opportunity for a purchaser to buy into a slice of idyllic country life. Meadow Barn would suit a wide demographic of purchaser including those needing to commute, downsize or looking for a country retreat.”
Master bedroom suite, two further bedrooms, family bathroom, reception room with mezzanine, sitting room, snug/study, utility room, double garage, gardens.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 3 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 7 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 10 A New York state of mind
Offers in excess of £985,000
Savills 01923 725500