Home of the Week: Flowton Priory, West Common, Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
Historic Flowton Priory was originally built in 1525 in the village of Flowton in Suffolk. In the 1920s it was transported brick by brick and set in beautiful grounds in West Common.
Built in Tudor style, it features tall elegant chimneys, jettied upper floor and gables, period fireplaces, exposed timbers, wood panelling, stained glass windows featuring heraldic arms of Wolsey and detailing from Wells Cathedral and York Minster.
The Priory combines the elegance of the period with 21st century specifications which include a beautiful Tudor style vaulted bespoke kitchen, with handmade oak cabinets, topped with white marble.
The elegant reception rooms are accessed via a welcoming imposing hallway, which in turn features a 16th century staircase leading to the first floor. There is a spectacular drawing room with original oak paneling with the centerpiece being an original 16th century carved stone fireplace and hood.
The property features five beautiful bedrooms and three elegant bathrooms with stunning period style bathroom suites featuring antique slipper baths and all enjoying views over the grounds and beyond.
You may also want to watch:
The Priory is approached along a private 120m driveway through an avenue of flame Oaks leading to impressive wrought iron gates, through which you pass into a further impressive ornamental tree lined shingle driveway, flanked by beautifully tended grounds.
To the rear of the property is a large York stone sun terrace, from which four steps lead to a large Koi Carp pond, terraced mature lawns and parterres. There is an avenue of immaculately pruned flowering Cherry trees, leading towards a pretty fountain and elegant Italian garden.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 5 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 6 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 9 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
The house is complemented by an elegant Summer House, which sits comfortably in the wonderful grounds and provides a sophisticated space for relaxing. The Summer House overlooks a delightful water feature to the rear, making this a cool, idyllic venue for summer entertaining.
There is also a sheltered side terrace, which provides additional dining space, with steps to a spa bath featuring a concealed TV and DVD player. This wonderful feature also offers ideal scope for al fresco entertaining on an impressive scale.
There is garaging for at least four vehicles, in a traditional style building which matches perfectly with the main House. The elegant garage building also features additional storage in the loft area, but this could easily be converted to an additional hobby/play room subject to the usual planning consents.
Behind the garage is a large steel shed, providing further storage, in addition to which there is a large two storey shed in the far corner of the garden.
West Common, Harpenden
Guide price £5,950,000
John Curtis | 01582 764471 | www.johncurtis.co.uk