Hertfordshire named among UK’s safest places to live
- Credit: Archant
The likes of St Albans and Harpenden are among the safest places to live in the UK thanks to their low crime rates.
Hertfordshire is the eighth safest area, according to new analysis of crime stats recorded during 2019.
Property buyers Good Move studied Office for National Statistics data to establish which areas had the worst crime rates, ranking each of them across a number of categories, including sexual offences, robbery, and violence.
Gloucestershire was named the safest place to live, followed by North Yorkshire, Wiltshire and Surrey.
At the opposite end of the spectrum was West Yorkshire, which was named the riskiest place to call home, followed by Cleveland, Humberside and Northumbria.
Good Move also surveyed 2,000 UK homeowners, and found that over half (58 per cent) feel safe from crime in their current area. Overall, male respondents said they felt safer, as did those between the ages of 25-34.
You may also want to watch:
Nima Ghasri, director at Good Move, said: “It’s interesting to see just how much crime takes place in certain areas across the UK.
“When moving to a new area, whilst factors such as good schools and closeness to family and friends are important, people must consider just how safe the area is too.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 4 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 5 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 6 Police hunt man suspected of breaking into Cathedral collection boxes
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 9 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian home on one of St Albans' most prestigious roads
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
“Hopefully, our research will help people looking to move to a new area to decide on the best location.”