Hertfordshire hotspot makes list of most expensive market towns
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Hertford has been named among England’s most high-end market towns in a study by Lloyds Bank.
It came sixth on a list of 2019's 10 most expensive market towns, with an average house price of £505,549. The list was topped by Beaconsfield, Bucks, where the average home cost £1,098,060.
Hertford also came eighth in a countdown of the best performing market towns, with an average house price increase of 11 per cent between 2018-19. Hungerford in Berks topped that list, with a 21 per cent increase.
Hertford didn't take all the glory, however: Hitchin came fourth on the list of the market towns with the highest house price increases between 2009-19, up 75 per cent to £416,445. The biggest increase was in Faversham, Kent, at 82 per cent.
Lloyds used Land Registry data to track house price movement in 132 English market towns.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Mason, Lloyds' mortgage director, said: "market towns have a long-standing reputation for being packed with typical English charm - with cobbled streets, bustling market stalls and historic buildings all contributing to the appeal for many people looking to set up home.
"This popular lifestyle undoubtedly comes with a property premium - as much as double the county average in some hotspots - so those considering making a market town their home should consider how it compares with the relative value for money that alternative areas have to offer."
- 1 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 2 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 3 Property Spotlight: A stunning period conversion in central St Albans
- 4 Footballers rally round with food drive amid pandemic
- 5 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 6 West Herts midwives to take to the skies in NHS charity skydive
- 7 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 8 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 9 Herts covered in blanket of snow as flurries fell on Sunday
- 10 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?