Hertfordshire hotspot makes list of most expensive market towns
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Hertford has been named among England’s most high-end market towns in a study by Lloyds Bank.
It came sixth on a list of 2019's 10 most expensive market towns, with an average house price of £505,549. The list was topped by Beaconsfield, Bucks, where the average home cost £1,098,060.
Hertford also came eighth in a countdown of the best performing market towns, with an average house price increase of 11 per cent between 2018-19. Hungerford in Berks topped that list, with a 21 per cent increase.
Hertford didn't take all the glory, however: Hitchin came fourth on the list of the market towns with the highest house price increases between 2009-19, up 75 per cent to £416,445. The biggest increase was in Faversham, Kent, at 82 per cent.
Lloyds used Land Registry data to track house price movement in 132 English market towns.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Mason, Lloyds' mortgage director, said: "market towns have a long-standing reputation for being packed with typical English charm - with cobbled streets, bustling market stalls and historic buildings all contributing to the appeal for many people looking to set up home.
"This popular lifestyle undoubtedly comes with a property premium - as much as double the county average in some hotspots - so those considering making a market town their home should consider how it compares with the relative value for money that alternative areas have to offer."
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 9 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire