Hertfordshire hotspot makes list of most expensive market towns
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Hertford has been named among England’s most high-end market towns in a study by Lloyds Bank.
It came sixth on a list of 2019's 10 most expensive market towns, with an average house price of £505,549. The list was topped by Beaconsfield, Bucks, where the average home cost £1,098,060.
Hertford also came eighth in a countdown of the best performing market towns, with an average house price increase of 11 per cent between 2018-19. Hungerford in Berks topped that list, with a 21 per cent increase.
Hertford didn't take all the glory, however: Hitchin came fourth on the list of the market towns with the highest house price increases between 2009-19, up 75 per cent to £416,445. The biggest increase was in Faversham, Kent, at 82 per cent.
Lloyds used Land Registry data to track house price movement in 132 English market towns.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Mason, Lloyds' mortgage director, said: "market towns have a long-standing reputation for being packed with typical English charm - with cobbled streets, bustling market stalls and historic buildings all contributing to the appeal for many people looking to set up home.
"This popular lifestyle undoubtedly comes with a property premium - as much as double the county average in some hotspots - so those considering making a market town their home should consider how it compares with the relative value for money that alternative areas have to offer."
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 4 9 baby and toddler groups for St Albans and Harpenden
- 5 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 6 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire town of Bishop's Stortford
- 7 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 8 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 9 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 10 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street