Harpenden agent advises landlords to be prepared
- Credit: Archant
It’s still a while before we welcome in 2017, but those thinking of letting property in the New Year are advised to plan ahead.
A local housing expert has recommended that would-be landlords start preparing, to allow time to get the benefit of full marketing.
Ryan Green, head of Savills in Harpenden, said: “The lettings industry is fast paced, so be prepared to act quickly. Give yourself enough time. First and foremost, check your mortgage will actually allow you to let your property out – some have clauses, which don’t.
“Choose your letting agent carefully. As members of the Association of Residential Lettings Agents (ARLA), Savills’ clients are safe in the knowledge that we have Client Money Protection.
“Think about how long you want to let your property out for. Keep in mind corporate tenants want to rent for a minimum of two to three years. If you are only thinking of letting for six to 12 months, you may want to price your property more competitively to secure a tenant quickly and thus avoid lengthy void periods.”
You may also want to watch:
Ryan suggests that understanding how much tax you have to pay and whether it makes financial sense to let the property is particularly relevant for those ‘accidental landlords’, who might only be letting in the short-term.
Other factors include thinking objectively about your property and what work might need doing, with decluttering and re-painting often required as a minimum.
- 1 Battle of St Albans appears on new Wars of the Roses stamp
- 2 University student digs World War One trench in St Albans garden for film project close to his heart
- 3 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 6 Knife found in churchyard by litter pickers
- 7 Budding Beaumont School playwright Oliver wins scriptwriting competition
- 8 People with these surnames in Herts could be sitting on unclaimed estate fortunes
- 9 Talented Verulam Reallymoving juniors star on return to competitive cycling
- 10 More records and impressive runs for St Albans Striders
Specialist landlord insurance, essential safety tests, professional cleaning and an independent inventory are also important considerations, according to Ryan.