Halloween Homes: How to create spook-tacular décor just in time for fright night
- Credit: PA
October 31 is less than a week away, and Gabrielle Fagan is getting organised by dipping into a witch’s brew of interiors tricks and treats
Halloween - when we celebrate all things spooky - doesn’t mean you have to embrace frightful style.
It’s perfectly possible to take a walk on the dark side with sophisticated and playful decor touches that create drama, conjure a bewitching setting and last way beyond October 31.
Be brave and take on the twilight trend...
Embrace dark but dreamy decor
If you love living on the dark side year-round, make a statement with a Halloween mural depicting a haunted night sky. Alternatively, a haunted house mural could be fun for an occasion like a party. Simply add candles and skulls for a spellbinding effect.
Pimp your pumpkin
- 1 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 2 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 3 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 St Albans haberdashery store celebrates 50 years
- 8 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed
- 9 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 10 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
It’s the traditional symbol of the festival, but if you’d rather avoid the chore of carving your own Jack O’ Lantern (and want to preserve your fingers), there are plenty of alternatives around.
Invest in our feathered friends
Ravens, witches’ familiars in fairy stories, and flocks of crows are essential elements of a gothic setting, whether safely caged or flying free...
Celebrate the Day of the Dead
If the setting’s too gloomy for your taste, bring in colour with vibrant items evoking the spirit of the Day of the Dead, the annual celebration in Mexico.
Design a ghostly banquet
Transform a table with a creative setting. Simply lower the lights and make the table a focal point by decorating with a string of pumpkin lights, as well as individually lit pumpkins, and ramp up the eeriness with skull-decorated plates and accessories.
Light up a twilight zone
Flickering candlelight will cast magical shadows (though artificial candles are a better bet if children are around).