Guest rooms increasingly replaced by man caves in Britain’s homes
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
It’s a case of ‘goodbye guest bedroom, hello games room’ for many Brits, with man caves and en suites also taking priority over visitors’ sleeping quarters.
According to a new survey from Hillarys.co.uk, just two fifths (41 per cent) of Brits lucky enough to have a spare room use it as a designated guest bedroom – but only ‘two or three times a year’,
Hillarys quizzed more than 2,300 UK adults with at least one spare room and found that 26 per cent were using the space as a dressing room, while 20 per cent had made it into a man cave.
A games or cinema room was the focus for 17 per cent of respondents, 10 per cent used it as an office and 13 per cent simply labelled it a junk room.
These alternatives were seeing a lot more use than the guest bedroom, with 43 per cent saying the room was used daily, while 31 per cent said they used it ‘most days’. Just 5 per cent of respondents stated that they used their alternative room ‘less than once a month’.
You may also want to watch:
Tara Hall, spokesperson for Hillarys, said: “Whilst spare bedrooms are useful, when the results show that they’re rarely used it does make more sense to transform the room into something that you’re going to use on a regular basis, whether that’s a dressing room or something more quirky. There’s nothing worse than having a space that looks great but goes unused.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre