Gone garage: are garages becoming extinct?
- Credit: Archant
Nearly 4 million Britons have converted garages into living spaces during past 20 years , with only 22 percent of car owners using their garage spaces to park overnight, research finds...
Sainsbury’s Car Insurance have revealed that garages are becoming a less common feature of Britain’s family homes, with an estimated 3.9 million people having repurposed their garage over the past 20 years to provide extra living space.
The most popular choice is to make it into a workshop (26 percent), followed by an office (20 percent). Other ‘converters’ created bedrooms (13 percent) or playrooms (7 percent); or extended their kitchens or living rooms in to their garage (16 percent).
So how are we housing our motors overnight? The majority of car owners park on their drives (51 percent) followed by 18 percent using the street, while others use an allocated parking space, or park their cars ‘elsewhere’ (1 percent).
With many not having access to a garage, Sainsbury’s Car Insurance issued some tips for securing cars overnight:
You may also want to watch:
- Always lock your vehicle and close the windows and the sunroof
- Don’t leave valuable items on display – use the boot, and lock it
- 1 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 4 Herts covered in blanket of snow as flurries fell on Sunday
- 5 Harpenden St George's and Old Albanian well represented in England's Six Nations squad
- 6 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 7 When One Direction, Ed Sheeran, The Police and Led Zep played Herts gigs
- 8 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 9 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 10 West Herts midwives to take to the skies in NHS charity skydive
- Lock jackets and coats in the boot, too
- If it looks like you’re trying to conceal items, your car will appear more attractive to thieves
- If parking on the street, try and pick a well-lit, open location
- Use an alarm, and/or tracking device; even a steering lock will act as a deterrent to a thief