Giving your home the X Factor at Xmas
- Credit: Archant
Tracey Portington, sales advisor for award-winning house builder Miller Homes Southern, shares her top tips for giving your home a festive feel.
With every open door on your advent calendar the big day draws nearer. We’re all quickly counting down the days until Christmas and we want our homes to have the wow factor as we welcome guests over the festive period:
1.Start with the mantlepiece, it’s often the focal point of your home and the best place to catch the eye. Be bold with your decorations by using wreaths made from natural materials, such as fir, berries and holly, but be careful not to cause a hazard if your fireplace is still active.
Why not line-up a row of tea lights housed in small glass holders? Plain glass works well or the holders can feature a Christmas theme. They’re great for drawing attention towards the festive decorations hanging from your mantle.
2.You can’t beat the smell of a real tree. Not only does it look better than an artificial one but it brings the fresh scent of pine into the heart of your home. If you’ve already committed to putting up an artificial tree, why not produce your own potpourri to capture the seasonal smell? Experiment with a range of dried fruit and spices, pop them in a nicely decorated bowl and you’re good to go.
You may also want to watch:
3.For a festive touch, add a string of fairy lights and some winter foliage to your existing mirrors and artwork.
4.Keep it in the family by running a garland along the length of your hallway banister and hanging family photos and Christmas cards from red ribbon. Alternating between cards and photos gives you and your visitors a chance to see the cards they’ve sent you and favourite family images.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to
5.To create the perfect winter display, take some firewood logs, evergreen branches and pinecones and weave string lights around them for a little added glitz.
Whether you’re livening up the look of a two-bedroom apartment or a four-bedroom family home, these tips can make all the difference and help make your Christmas a cracker.
For more information on Miller Homes’ developments across the south and to find out how you could be in a new home in early 2016, visit www.millerhomes.co.uk