Giving your home the X Factor at Xmas
- Credit: Archant
Tracey Portington, sales advisor for award-winning house builder Miller Homes Southern, shares her top tips for giving your home a festive feel.
With every open door on your advent calendar the big day draws nearer. We’re all quickly counting down the days until Christmas and we want our homes to have the wow factor as we welcome guests over the festive period:
1.Start with the mantlepiece, it’s often the focal point of your home and the best place to catch the eye. Be bold with your decorations by using wreaths made from natural materials, such as fir, berries and holly, but be careful not to cause a hazard if your fireplace is still active.
Why not line-up a row of tea lights housed in small glass holders? Plain glass works well or the holders can feature a Christmas theme. They’re great for drawing attention towards the festive decorations hanging from your mantle.
2.You can’t beat the smell of a real tree. Not only does it look better than an artificial one but it brings the fresh scent of pine into the heart of your home. If you’ve already committed to putting up an artificial tree, why not produce your own potpourri to capture the seasonal smell? Experiment with a range of dried fruit and spices, pop them in a nicely decorated bowl and you’re good to go.
You may also want to watch:
3.For a festive touch, add a string of fairy lights and some winter foliage to your existing mirrors and artwork.
4.Keep it in the family by running a garland along the length of your hallway banister and hanging family photos and Christmas cards from red ribbon. Alternating between cards and photos gives you and your visitors a chance to see the cards they’ve sent you and favourite family images.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 9 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
5.To create the perfect winter display, take some firewood logs, evergreen branches and pinecones and weave string lights around them for a little added glitz.
Whether you’re livening up the look of a two-bedroom apartment or a four-bedroom family home, these tips can make all the difference and help make your Christmas a cracker.
For more information on Miller Homes’ developments across the south and to find out how you could be in a new home in early 2016, visit www.millerhomes.co.uk