Expert View: Scott Gilbert, director of KDW Property, shares his top valuation tips
- Credit: Archant
Often people choose their estate agent based on who has given them the higher valuation figure, however this is not necessarily the best option.
One of the first steps you undertake when selling a property will be to obtain a valuation. Sometimes a valuation will be overestimated by the estate agent to entice you to sign up with them, only to then encourage you to reduce the marketing price in a few weeks.
These are my top tips for obtaining valuations:
* Before contacting any estate agent it helps to research properties in your area to get an idea of their selling price. Land Registry will give you an indication as to confirmed sales prices in your area, while sales portals such as Rightmove will show current properties that are on the market and their marketing price.
* Ask a couple of estate agents to come and value your property to get to know each agent. Essentially you are looking to utilise the services of an agent and company who have the knowledge and expertise to do the best possible job of selling your property.
You may also want to watch:
* Expect the valuation to last anywhere between 30-50 minutes.
* Whilst the estate agent is conducting the valuation, try and give them space so they can give your valuation their full attention.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Columban Cycling Club take on 'The Italian Job' for Home-Start Herts
* A good estate agent will likely go away to carry out some further research before sharing their figures with you.
* Find out about the services which are vital in promoting your property. Some agents will charge for professional photography, Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs), floorplans and even in some cases accompanied viewings. It is essential that you know what your associated costs are before signing any agency agreement and also the length of the agreement that you are signing.
* Do not be pressurised to sign up with an estate agent at the valuation; have a think about it and make a decision over the coming days.
If you have any questions regarding valuations or would like to arrange a valuation with KDW Property then contact us on the below:
Tel: 01727 23 23 23 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org