Comment: The £6m home that’s divided opinion
- Credit: Archant
It’s not every day a £6m house comes on the market – even in a place as full of pricey pads as St Albans.
Consequently, the appearance of 53 The Park in last week’s property pages has sparked some serious debate. Cries of “How much?!” have sounded out all over social media, with many locals refusing to accept that the asking price is justified.
“Some people really do have more money than sense,” one Herts Ad Property follower wrote on Twitter. Another said the price was “shocking”, adding: “If I had £6m to spend on a house I wouldn’t expect to have neighbours so close and a small garden.”
Others were utterly enamoured of the swish new home however, swooning over its hydraulic car lift, his and hers en-suites and on-site sauna.
A lot of love has gone into making 53 The Park what it is, and absolutely no expense has been spared - who even knew you could spend £8,000 on a bathtub?
During my tour of the property I said that I could imagine a footballer living there – the huge, super-secure basement garage is ideal for housing a fleet of Bentleys and the in-house cocktail bar is just what every high-end house party needs.
You may also want to watch:
Cassidy & Tate’s Stuart Cassidy, the agent tasked with selling this one of a kind property, says the response has been unlike anything he’s ever seen before.
He said: “I don’t think I’ve ever had as much interest. People were queuing up over the weekend just to have a look at the house in the window.”
- 1 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 2 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 3 Call from St Albans Museum for start of Ramadan
- 4 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 5 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street
- 6 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 7 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 8 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 9 St Albans GP publishes guide to living
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
It remains to be seen if the asking price will be achieved, but, even if it isn’t, 53 The Park has earned itself a place in St Albans property folklore, up there with the likes of Wick House as a stand out home that everyone seems to have heard of.
As Stuart says, there’s no such thing as bad PR - and for now at least, 53 The Park is the most talked about property in town.