Bungalow blues for Hertfordshire's downsizers
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The supply of bungalows in Hertfordshire is among the lowest in England and Wales, spelling bad news for downsizers.
Yes Homebuyers studied the stock of available homes on Rightmove and found that there were just 640 bungalows available for sale across Herts on July 7 — a mere 4 per cent of the total housing stock.
This places the county in the bottom 10 areas for bungalow stock, below the England and Wales average of 8 per cent.
The City of London and Isles of Scilly recorded no bungalow availability at all, however, while Denbighshire in Wales topped the opposing list, with bungalows making up 28 per cent of its total available housing stock.
Matthew Cooper, founder and managing director of Yes Homebuyers, said: “Not all downsizers are silver homebuyers keen on a bungalow purchase, but it is an incredibly popular property choice amongst those reaching the end of the property purchasing timeline who simply don’t fancy tackling a steep flight of stairs throughout the day.
You may also want to watch:
"It’s difficult to remember a more ideal time for downsizing. House prices are at a remarkable high which means sellers can demand premium prices for their homes, money that will more than cover the purchase of a smaller home and leave plenty left over to fund retirement or support the younger generations of their family."
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions