Brits prioritising home ownership ahead of marriage and children
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Millions of Britons are putting marriage and babies on the backburner to focus on buying a home.
According to new research from L&C Mortgages, 5.1 million Brits put property purchases before getting married and starting a family, yet just 8 per cent see buying a home with a partner as their biggest long term commitment.
Cutbacks that respondents have made in order to buy property include going without luxuries such as holidays (22 per cent), reducing household spending (17 per cent) and moving in with parents to save for a deposit (7 per cent).
7 per cent said that they had delayed starting a family, while 4 per cent said that their wedding plans had been put on hold.
Getting hitched is seen as the biggest life commitment by most respondents – 33 per cent – compared to being in a long-term relationship (21 per cent) or having children (18 per cent). Only 8 per cent considered buying a house with someone to be the biggest life commitment they could make.
You may also want to watch:
David Hollingworth from L&C Mortgages said: “With high house prices, rising living costs and wage growth at a virtual standstill, buying property with a partner is perhaps no longer seen as a major long term commitment for people, as it seems like such a distant possibility. Perhaps for some buying seems so far off in the future that it has fallen down their list of commitments. “
He added: “Buying with a partner will certainly be one of the biggest financial commitments you can make. It’s therefore crucial to think clearly and plan, especially as home ownership is so entwined with the long term goals of marriage and raising a family.”
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 6 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 7 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 8 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 9 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 10 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts