Brits causing chaos with dangerous Christmas tree transportation
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Do you know how to safely transport a Christmas tree by car? You’re in the minority if so.
According to research from car rental company, Enterprise, only 7 per cent of British adults admit to knowing the rules of the road where Christmas tree transportation is concerned.
16 per cent said they only have a “vague idea” while three quarters (77 per cent) confessed they don’t have a clue.
10 per cent of those quizzed admitted they have previously transported a tree in a manner which “may have contravened the rules of the road” – such as letting it hang out of the boot, loosely tying it to the top of the car without a roof rack, or positioning it in such a way that it obscured the driver’s vision.
If you’re currently tree-less and planning on using one of the above methods to transport your tree, think again: over a quarter (26 per cent) of those who admitted to having done so say they have previously been stopped by the police.
You may also want to watch:
Brendan Grieve, Enterprise Assistant Vice President of Rental, said: “The Highway Code does not specifically mention transporting Christmas trees, however, the rules are pretty clear when it comes to properly securing items being transported in a vehicle – and they all apply to Christmas trees.
“To avoid a fine, our advice would be to ensure you can safely transport a tree before you commit to the purchase. If you’re unsure you can do so within the rules of the road, it may be worth considering having one delivered or hiring a van.”
- 1 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 2 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 3 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 4 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 5 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 6 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 7 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 8 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 9 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 10 New rules are a further nail in the coffin for pubs