Baldock tops list of best local buy-to-let areas
- Credit: Daniel Wilson
If you’re keen to carve out an investment property empire but don’t want to look too far afield, the area east of Letchworth Garden City is the place to go house hunting.
The SG7 postcode covers Baldock and surrounding villages, such as Ashwell and Newnham, where properties offer a healthy 6.73 per cent buy-to-let (BTL) yield. The median rent there is £1,509, while the total median sale price is £268,877.
A similarly strong contender is Hatfield’s AL10 postcode, which has a BTL yield of 6.32 per cent, median rent of £2,031 and a total median sale price of £385,557.
An area best avoided is the SG3 postcode, covering Knebworth, Datchworth and Woolmer Green. The median rent here is £899, while the total median sale price is £774,499 – a dismal BTL yield of just 1.39 per cent.
Elsewhere in Herts, the St Albans AL1 postcode recorded a disappointing 2.82 per cent BTL yield on the TotallyMoney Buy-to-Let Yield Map, while SG11 and SG17 failed to score as they were low on available data.
You may also want to watch:
Top of the list nationally was the LS6 area of Leeds with a BTL yield of just under 10.79 per cent. In fact, nine of the 10 highest yielding areas were up north (the tenth was in Cardiff) while all 10 of the lowest yielding areas were in the south, with posh Poole at the very bottom of the list with a BTL yield of just 1.13 per cent.
There’s still hope for Herts-based buyers, however – just get on over to Baldock.
To see the full, interactive version of the map, visit www.totallymoney.com/buy-to-let-yield-map.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 5 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 6 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 7 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 8 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 9 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 10 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead