Baldock tops list of best local buy-to-let areas
- Credit: Daniel Wilson
If you’re keen to carve out an investment property empire but don’t want to look too far afield, the area east of Letchworth Garden City is the place to go house hunting.
The SG7 postcode covers Baldock and surrounding villages, such as Ashwell and Newnham, where properties offer a healthy 6.73 per cent buy-to-let (BTL) yield. The median rent there is £1,509, while the total median sale price is £268,877.
A similarly strong contender is Hatfield’s AL10 postcode, which has a BTL yield of 6.32 per cent, median rent of £2,031 and a total median sale price of £385,557.
An area best avoided is the SG3 postcode, covering Knebworth, Datchworth and Woolmer Green. The median rent here is £899, while the total median sale price is £774,499 – a dismal BTL yield of just 1.39 per cent.
Elsewhere in Herts, the St Albans AL1 postcode recorded a disappointing 2.82 per cent BTL yield on the TotallyMoney Buy-to-Let Yield Map, while SG11 and SG17 failed to score as they were low on available data.
You may also want to watch:
Top of the list nationally was the LS6 area of Leeds with a BTL yield of just under 10.79 per cent. In fact, nine of the 10 highest yielding areas were up north (the tenth was in Cardiff) while all 10 of the lowest yielding areas were in the south, with posh Poole at the very bottom of the list with a BTL yield of just 1.13 per cent.
There’s still hope for Herts-based buyers, however – just get on over to Baldock.
To see the full, interactive version of the map, visit www.totallymoney.com/buy-to-let-yield-map.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 5 April 12: St Albans shops re-open
- 6 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo