Property Spotlight: A seven-bed country retreat near Welwyn Garden City
- Credit: Archant
Built in 1857, Lemsford House is a fabulous country retreat retaining many of its original Victorian features.
High ceilings, picture rails and original fireplaces adorn the principal rooms and there are particularly fine views over the gardens from the main living room and dining room.
The vast majority of the accommodation is spread over two floors with one bedroom in the attic, which is currently used for storage and allows access to a vast walk-in loft space.
On the first floor the master suite has both en suite shower room and bathroom and there are three other bedrooms to this wing, served by a family bathroom.
Two further double bedrooms and an en suite Jack and Jill bathroom are located in the guest wing, approached via a staircase from the half landing.
You may also want to watch:
Externally, the gardens are a particular feature of the house, with extensive lawns, shrubberies, mature trees and a working well.
There is a Victorian garden room with tack room, cloakroom and a large workshop, plus original stabling with dovecote and hayloft above.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 6 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 7 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 8 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 9 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
A gravel and part block paved driveway provides ample parking and wiring for electric gates.
The property is situated on the outskirts of Lemsford village close to the Brocket Estate, itself on the outskirts of Welwyn Garden City.
During World War Two, Brocket Hall was used as a maternity unit and Lemsford House was used to accommodate unmarried mothers with illegitimate babies born at Brocket Hall.
The images shown are from when the property was occupied and it has since fallen into disrepair and requires some updating.
Lemsford House, Brocket Road, Welwyn Garden City
Guide price: £1,650,000
Ashtons, 01707 331100, www.ashtons.co.uk