Property Spotlight: A unique period home in central St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Nestled in a historic lane in the heart of St Albans is this charming Grade II listed period residence.
Dating back approximately 200 years, the original front rooms operated as a general store until the 1960s, and many original features - including the shopfront window - remain.
The accommodation is arranged over three floors with approximatley 1,850 sq ft of living space, a wonderfully private 80ft south-facing garden to the rear and off-street car parking to the front.
The ground floor boasts an impressive 22ft lounge with original exposed floorboards and attractive fireplace.
In the dining room a vaulted ceiling provides a light and airy feel, and this leads to a family room with bi-folding doors to a secluded, sun trap courtyard.
French doors also connect the courtyard to a high-quality Nolte kitchen/breakfast room, comprising a tasteful range of matt white and grey frosted glass fronted units, feature island and Siemens appliances.
There is a playroom/cinema room with original beams, a downstairs shower room and separate utility area.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
The basement provides a further reception room/guest bedroom with original beams, natural light and a large storage area.
On the first floor there are four well-proportioned double bedrooms and a stylish family bathroom suite.
To the rear is a private garden with an attractive tiled patio area leading to a lawn; at the bottom is a stylish cabin, ideal as a home office.
Sopwell Lane is only a few minutes’ walk to St Albans Abbey, Verulamium Park and the city centre, and 10 minutes’ walk to St Albans City station.
Sopwell Lane, St Albans
Guide price: £1,350,000
Paul Barker Estate Agents, 01727 223344, www.paul-barker.co.uk