Comment: Looking back on another year in property
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Well, it's that time again - the final property section of the year.
It feels like about five minutes since we were bidding 2019 a fed up farewell, and looking forward to what local experts agreed would be a great year for the local market following Boris Johnson's general election victory.
Turns out Brexit uncertainty and chronic supply shortage have nothing on a global pandemic, however.
2020 has been the year of furloughed estate agents and solicitors, followed by a surprise mini-boom as panicked movers raced to take advantage of Rishi Sunak's big incentive: the stamp duty holiday.
Along with the ever-present threat of a housing crash, the tax break has been the biggest headline grabber of 2020. It remains to be seen what the fallout will be when it ends on March 31 - if indeed it does.
The end of the year also offers the opportunity to look back on which of our stories most resonated, and What are our chances of getting a stamp duty holiday? was a biggie back in May.
Not surprisingly, the top two stories involved posh house revelations - Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages, and Revealed: St Albans' most expensive homes 2019. We do love a revelation here at Herts Ad Property, particularly those that involve pricey pads.
Sadly, after eight months of tireless service to your Herts Ad property section, our man has decided to out himself. Yes, it's the ultimate Christmas gift, that of the Secret Estate Agent's true identity. Did you guess?
You may also want to watch:
Here's to a happy, healthy 2021. Because this time it really can't be any worse.
- 1 St Albans' COVID cases continue to decline as UK surpasses "grim" milestone
- 2 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 3 The Snow Must Go On: More pics of St Albans in the snow
- 4 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 5 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 6 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 7 Bishop wages war on sports gambling
- 8 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 9 Claw enforcement: How to stop your cat scratching furniture and leaving fur everywhere
- 10 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre