Comment: Looking back on another year in property
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Well, it's that time again - the final property section of the year.
It feels like about five minutes since we were bidding 2019 a fed up farewell, and looking forward to what local experts agreed would be a great year for the local market following Boris Johnson's general election victory.
Turns out Brexit uncertainty and chronic supply shortage have nothing on a global pandemic, however.
2020 has been the year of furloughed estate agents and solicitors, followed by a surprise mini-boom as panicked movers raced to take advantage of Rishi Sunak's big incentive: the stamp duty holiday.
Along with the ever-present threat of a housing crash, the tax break has been the biggest headline grabber of 2020. It remains to be seen what the fallout will be when it ends on March 31 - if indeed it does.
The end of the year also offers the opportunity to look back on which of our stories most resonated, and What are our chances of getting a stamp duty holiday? was a biggie back in May.
Not surprisingly, the top two stories involved posh house revelations - Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages, and Revealed: St Albans' most expensive homes 2019. We do love a revelation here at Herts Ad Property, particularly those that involve pricey pads.
Sadly, after eight months of tireless service to your Herts Ad property section, our man has decided to out himself. Yes, it's the ultimate Christmas gift, that of the Secret Estate Agent's true identity. Did you guess?
You may also want to watch:
Here's to a happy, healthy 2021. Because this time it really can't be any worse.
- 1 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden