Praise for buses
SIR - In reply to Tara Shand s criticism of UNO bus services in the village (Herts Advertiser, May 14), I have been a resident of Frogmore for nearly nine years and find the level of service during the day (Monday to Saturday) acceptable. The only disapp
SIR - In reply to Tara Shand's criticism of UNO bus services in the village (Herts Advertiser, May 14), I have been a resident of Frogmore for nearly nine years and find the level of service during the day (Monday to Saturday) acceptable.
The only disappointment is the evening level of service, i.e. after 8pm when there is a two hour and 20 minute gap before the next journey to St Albans at 10.20pm. In the opposite direction it is similar - 6.52pm, 9.05pm, 11.05pm. Obviously, unless you are elderly or disabled, the alternative is to walk to Park Street Station and catch the 8.45pm/9.45pm service to St Albans Abbey Station and walk up Holywell Hill to the city centre. This service is free to use at nights.
On the subject of Ms Shand's "missed buses", in February, on the days of heavy snow, no buses operated across most of England and Wales (Monday) or started late after roads were cleared (Tuesday).
The missed early bus at 3.30pm on May 5 was a school service which is clearly printed in the 655 timetable, the 3.50pm journey did operate on that date (as a passenger to Borehamwood I can vouch for it). Regarding the 7.56pm journey from Radlett to St Albans, as she has not mentioned a specific date, as a regular passenger on this journey returning from Borehamwood, I cannot recall any occasion when it has failed to operate. The only answer to her question could be that the driver operated a few minutes early as sometimes occur.
I presume Ms Shand is a fairly new resident so welcome to Park Street.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 4 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 5 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 6 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 7 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 8 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 9 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 10 St Albans Striders shine as Midweek Road Race League makes welcome return