SIR – It will always be open to challenge to suggest that dealing with one sort of crime should take precedence over any other, but I will nevertheless endeavour to advocate this. Your article on the theft of a large section of the roof from our fire stat
SIR - It will always be open to challenge to suggest that dealing with one sort of crime should take precedence over any other, but I will nevertheless endeavour to advocate this.
Your article on the theft of a large section of the roof from our fire station reinforces my conviction that the focus of our law enforcement seems to be misjudged.This may be linked, in part, to the profligacy with which our government is using the police forces in the collection of revenue and secondly with its addiction to setting utterly meaningless targets - something that Joseph Stalin excelled in but, I trust, for very different reasons.
I must also point out that the police do an excellent job, and given more independence from politicians would almost certainly do an even better one.
Without methodical and frequent patrols by police officers, those among us who have little or no social conscience will be encouraged to continue to commit crimes that burden us all.
You may also want to watch:
The need to revert to the hypothesis of prevention seems apposite. I would counsel a discontinuation of policing that may be associated with revenue generation, a diminution in expensive camera surveillance, as it simply is not effective in deterring crime nor in its prosecution, and costs a fortune, so that we can somehow put most police officers onto the streets.
More visible and effective patrolling, perhaps on foot, might just deter the sort of people that have reprehensibly stolen the roofing from Redbourn fire station.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 4 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 5 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 8 A New York state of mind
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
Tassell Hall, Redbourn