Plan of the Day
We plan to celebrate this auspicious day by recreating the procession and the funfair that made the Abbey Line famous in its early years. We are also pleased to have the Bricket Wood Society put on an exhibition for the day. St Albans Festivities 11am
We plan to celebrate this auspicious day by recreating the procession and the funfair that made the Abbey Line famous in its early years. We are also pleased to have the Bricket Wood Society put on an exhibition for the day.
St Albans Festivities
11am - Dignitaries will gather at St Albans Town Hall;
11.30am - Procession will walk to St Albans Abbey Station; Scouts and Brownies will join the procession; Bells will ring at St Albans Abbey;
12.22pm - Procession train will depart from St Albans Abbey.
Watford Junction Festivities
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 4 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 5 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 6 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 7 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Return of Harpenden Carnival promises fun for all the family
- 10 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
12.45pm - Plaque will be unveiled at Watford Junction.
Bricket Wood Festivities
11am until 5pm - In honour of Gray's Funfair (1889-late 1920s), we will have a mini-funfair at Bricket Wood on the green by the Fox & Hounds pub, across the road from Bricket Wood Station. There will be rides, stands and refreshments available.
In addition, there will also be the following available:
# Miniature Railway;
# Oscar the Robot from Network Rail;
# A Victorian organ grinder;
# A traction engine;
# St Albans City Band will be playing;
# Wicket Brood Morris Dancing.
At the St Stephen Parish Centre (a few metres from the funfair)
# Bricket Wood Society historical exhibition;
# Callowland (Watford) historical model railway layout;
# Locomotive Club of Great Britain will have a stand.
Commemorative tickets and postcards will also be available.
The Abbey Line Anniversary Ale will be for sale.
Oakwood Press newly-updated edition of the book about the Watford to St Albans Branch Line will also be for sale.