Photo gallery: Steaming ahead at St Albans show
IT was full steam ahead at the weekend when crowds flocked to the St Albans Steam and Country Show.
The 44th annual rally, organised by the Hertfordshire Steam Engine Preservation Society, was held for the second year running at Oakland College’s Smallford site in Hatfield Road.
The show started with a heavy horse display followed by a parade of vintage cars and lorries. A parade of classic motorcycles then took to the ring followed by a grand parade of steam engines.
Other attractions included demonstrations of historic farming equipment stone crushing, threshing and milling and grinding, and Derek and Barbara Wheeler showed off their 1876 Shand Mason steam fire engine.
Steam train rides were also laid on by the North London Society of Model Engineers using miniature steam locomotives on their raised portable track.
You may also want to watch:
The Society is a registered charity and actively supports the steam traction engine preservation movement by encouraging interest in their restoration, operation and by providing advice to owners and drivers.
It holds monthly club meetings at the Flamstead Sports and Social Club every third Wednesday in the month. Find out more from their website at www.hertssteam.org.
- 1 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 2 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 6 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 7 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 8 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 9 Alban Arena launches annual pantomime with Strictly Come Dancing star
- 10 A New York state of mind
All photos courtesy of Function Photos - www.functionphotos.net