Photo gallery: Steaming ahead at St Albans show
IT was full steam ahead at the weekend when crowds flocked to the St Albans Steam and Country Show.
The 44th annual rally, organised by the Hertfordshire Steam Engine Preservation Society, was held for the second year running at Oakland College’s Smallford site in Hatfield Road.
The show started with a heavy horse display followed by a parade of vintage cars and lorries. A parade of classic motorcycles then took to the ring followed by a grand parade of steam engines.
Other attractions included demonstrations of historic farming equipment stone crushing, threshing and milling and grinding, and Derek and Barbara Wheeler showed off their 1876 Shand Mason steam fire engine.
Steam train rides were also laid on by the North London Society of Model Engineers using miniature steam locomotives on their raised portable track.
You may also want to watch:
The Society is a registered charity and actively supports the steam traction engine preservation movement by encouraging interest in their restoration, operation and by providing advice to owners and drivers.
It holds monthly club meetings at the Flamstead Sports and Social Club every third Wednesday in the month. Find out more from their website at www.hertssteam.org.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 10 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
All photos courtesy of Function Photos - www.functionphotos.net