Photo gallery: Steaming ahead at St Albans show
IT was full steam ahead at the weekend when crowds flocked to the St Albans Steam and Country Show.
The 44th annual rally, organised by the Hertfordshire Steam Engine Preservation Society, was held for the second year running at Oakland College’s Smallford site in Hatfield Road.
The show started with a heavy horse display followed by a parade of vintage cars and lorries. A parade of classic motorcycles then took to the ring followed by a grand parade of steam engines.
Other attractions included demonstrations of historic farming equipment stone crushing, threshing and milling and grinding, and Derek and Barbara Wheeler showed off their 1876 Shand Mason steam fire engine.
Steam train rides were also laid on by the North London Society of Model Engineers using miniature steam locomotives on their raised portable track.
The Society is a registered charity and actively supports the steam traction engine preservation movement by encouraging interest in their restoration, operation and by providing advice to owners and drivers.
It holds monthly club meetings at the Flamstead Sports and Social Club every third Wednesday in the month. Find out more from their website at www.hertssteam.org.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
All photos courtesy of Function Photos - www.functionphotos.net