SIR – Your correspondent Sarah Woolard ( Expletives deleted , Herts Advertiser, 29 October) should take heart from the swift and responsible reaction of our town clerk and the chairman of the club – which leases this area of common from the town council –
SIR - Your correspondent Sarah Woolard ('Expletives deleted', Herts Advertiser, 29 October) should take heart from the swift and responsible reaction of our town clerk and the chairman of the club - which leases this area of common from the town council - to observations by local residents that the footballers' language is occasionally too clearly audible and industrial for delicate and immature ears.
Since the protective screen of trees was removed last year, we hear more than we would really like when the prevailing wind is in the west and on fine days with windows and doors open and children playing on the common and in nearby gardens.
We have pointed out that this particular corner of Harpenden Common is residential and not a recreation ground and - yes - most of the dwellings were here before the football club.
The same logic should apply in the case of Verulamium Park, where the pitches adjoin a children's playground, and in any event the clubs have a general duty of care to the public.
You may also want to watch:
Excessive shouting and swearing in a public place could be interpreted as a breach of the peace, which is a criminal offence, albeit an ancient one.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 A New York state of mind
- 7 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 8 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 9 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 10 Alban Arena launches annual pantomime with Strictly Come Dancing star
East Common, Harpenden