SIR – Your correspondent Sarah Woolard ( Expletives deleted , Herts Advertiser, 29 October) should take heart from the swift and responsible reaction of our town clerk and the chairman of the club – which leases this area of common from the town council –
SIR - Your correspondent Sarah Woolard ('Expletives deleted', Herts Advertiser, 29 October) should take heart from the swift and responsible reaction of our town clerk and the chairman of the club - which leases this area of common from the town council - to observations by local residents that the footballers' language is occasionally too clearly audible and industrial for delicate and immature ears.
Since the protective screen of trees was removed last year, we hear more than we would really like when the prevailing wind is in the west and on fine days with windows and doors open and children playing on the common and in nearby gardens.
We have pointed out that this particular corner of Harpenden Common is residential and not a recreation ground and - yes - most of the dwellings were here before the football club.
The same logic should apply in the case of Verulamium Park, where the pitches adjoin a children's playground, and in any event the clubs have a general duty of care to the public.
You may also want to watch:
Excessive shouting and swearing in a public place could be interpreted as a breach of the peace, which is a criminal offence, albeit an ancient one.
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 6 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire market town of Hitchin
- 7 Sandridge student takes on running challenge for Mind
- 8 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 9 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 10 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier
East Common, Harpenden