Pass the parcel
SIR, — Over the years I have witnessed a slow but clear deterioration of the grass verges in the Cell Barnes/Drakes Drive/Hatfield Road, area of St Albans caused by parking cars/vans etc. Not only does this leave large unsightly muddy areas and a run-down
SIR, - Over the years I have witnessed a slow but clear deterioration of the grass verges in the Cell Barnes/Drakes Drive/Hatfield Road, area of St Albans caused by parking cars/vans etc.
Not only does this leave large unsightly muddy areas and a run-down feel to the area, but in some places it is dangerous, particularly on corners where vision for the emerging motorist is obscured.
Interestingly there are a number of signs placed by St Albans District Council warning that parking of a vehicle on the grass verges will result in a penalty ranging from £5 to £50 - clearly some signs are older than others.
On my first visit to the council offices I was eventually advised that it was now the responsibility of Herts Highways and that I should get in touch with them.This I did, only to be told it was the district council's job.
So back again I went to the council offices and after many phone calls by a very helpful receptionist, it was established that there was no longer anything in place to manage this problem!
Even though I have never seen a traffic warden out this way, why couldn't this be their responsibility?
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 6 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 7 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 8 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 10 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
Flinders Close, St Albans.