SIR – How pleased we are that St Albans Lib Dems now stoop so low as to respond to letters in the local paper. But in doing so, there are now more questions than answers. If personal friends want to make a donation of thousands of pounds to Sandy Walk
SIR - How pleased we are that St Albans Lib Dems now "stoop so low" as to respond to letters in the local paper. But in doing so, there are now more questions than answers.
If "personal friends" want to make a donation of thousands of pounds to Sandy Walkington's election coffers why didn't they do so in their own name? Why was it done anonymously under the cover of a company?
If these individuals are so proud of their association with the St Albans Lib Dems why didn't they give money in their own names? And even then, did they pay tax on it?
And yet we still don't even know what these "personal friends" pumping thousands into Sandy Walkington's election funds, via their company, hope to gain - or have been promised.
You may also want to watch:
Therefore, an official complaint to the Electoral Commission has been submitted for an investigation to establish whether there has been a breach of the law.
But one thing is for sure: if readers of the Herts Advertiser dare raise questions about "parliamentary hopeful" Sandy Walkington's finances you had better be prepared for a witch hunt and the details of you and your family being pried into.
- 1 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 2 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 3 Property Spotlight: A stunning period conversion in central St Albans
- 4 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Footballers rally round with food drive amid pandemic
- 6 West Herts midwives to take to the skies in NHS charity skydive
- 7 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 8 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 9 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 10 Herts covered in blanket of snow as flurries fell on Sunday
I am not willing to discuss my family's living arrangements in the local paper and for the Chair of the St Albans Lib Dems to try to snoop into my family's life in a misguided attempt to question my integrity is deeply chilling.
What next, will there be a car with blacked out windows following me about?
I suggest that as the chair of St Albans Lib Dems fancies himself as Inspector Clouseau, perhaps the people of St Albans would be better served if his energies were diverted to locating the whereabouts of the laptop containing the confidential personal data and signatures of 15,000 local folk which his Lib Dem colleagues lost, rather than trying to intimidate me or other readers into silence in the local paper.
I will keep readers informed of the outcome of the Electoral Commission's investigation.
London Road, St Albans