SIR – How pleased we are that St Albans Lib Dems now stoop so low as to respond to letters in the local paper. But in doing so, there are now more questions than answers. If personal friends want to make a donation of thousands of pounds to Sandy Walk
SIR - How pleased we are that St Albans Lib Dems now "stoop so low" as to respond to letters in the local paper. But in doing so, there are now more questions than answers.
If "personal friends" want to make a donation of thousands of pounds to Sandy Walkington's election coffers why didn't they do so in their own name? Why was it done anonymously under the cover of a company?
If these individuals are so proud of their association with the St Albans Lib Dems why didn't they give money in their own names? And even then, did they pay tax on it?
And yet we still don't even know what these "personal friends" pumping thousands into Sandy Walkington's election funds, via their company, hope to gain - or have been promised.
You may also want to watch:
Therefore, an official complaint to the Electoral Commission has been submitted for an investigation to establish whether there has been a breach of the law.
But one thing is for sure: if readers of the Herts Advertiser dare raise questions about "parliamentary hopeful" Sandy Walkington's finances you had better be prepared for a witch hunt and the details of you and your family being pried into.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 8 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 9 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
I am not willing to discuss my family's living arrangements in the local paper and for the Chair of the St Albans Lib Dems to try to snoop into my family's life in a misguided attempt to question my integrity is deeply chilling.
What next, will there be a car with blacked out windows following me about?
I suggest that as the chair of St Albans Lib Dems fancies himself as Inspector Clouseau, perhaps the people of St Albans would be better served if his energies were diverted to locating the whereabouts of the laptop containing the confidential personal data and signatures of 15,000 local folk which his Lib Dem colleagues lost, rather than trying to intimidate me or other readers into silence in the local paper.
I will keep readers informed of the outcome of the Electoral Commission's investigation.
London Road, St Albans