SIR – I would like to bring to your readers attention the significantly above inflation rises that the Liberal Democrat-led St Albans City and District Council has applied to resident parking permits in St Albans. In the district council s budget they ha
SIR - I would like to bring to your readers' attention the significantly above inflation rises that the Liberal Democrat-led St Albans City and District Council has applied to resident parking permits in St Albans.
In the district council's budget they have proposed minimum increases of 5.6 per cent on residents' parking permits. This increase is significantly more than the current rate of inflation.
This rise will affect residents in the city centre of St Albans particularly hard where very few people have the luxury of a garage or private driveway. Any increase, no matter how low, particularly where it is above inflation, is going to hit the pockets and disposable income of already over-stretched St Albans residents.
While it is pleasing to note that the council have frozen Council Tax rates for 2010/11, it strikes me that this headline has been achieved through the council applying "hidden" increases to other fees and charges.
You may also want to watch:
This seems like the actions of a council desperate for a positive headline following a year of poor publicity after the issue of unenforceable parking fines, a massive data security breach and of course the health and safety farce over the pancake race.
If the council had avoided the complete fiasco of unenforceable parking fines would local residents now be being asked to pay these above inflation rises? Are local residents in effect being asked to pay for the illegal parking of others, as the council was unable to collect the fees due from the real offenders?
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 4 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 5 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 6 Sandridge student takes on running challenge for Mind
- 7 'Nothing will take away what she has done to our daughter'
- 8 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 9 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire market town of Hitchin
- 10 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
How many other fees and charges will be increased this year to compensate for the Liberal Democrats' one positive headline?
Lower Dagnall Street, St Albans