SIR, — On Sunday morning my heart sank as I strolled in Verulamium Park, St Albans, in the area known as St Germain s Mead. The annual firework spectacular — held in atrocious conditions on Saturday evening — had led to an awful mess. A previously-beautif
SIR, - On Sunday morning my heart sank as I strolled in Verulamium Park, St Albans, in the area known as St Germain's Mead.
The annual firework spectacular - held in atrocious conditions on Saturday evening - had led to an awful mess. A previously-beautiful area of grass parkland had been reduced to a quagmire - a muddy blot on the landscape.
In creating the wonderful firework display, a lovely aspect of the park has been decimated, not by the footfall of the many hardy spectators but rather the inappropriate use of a number of motor vehicles. The imprint of the tracks of these vehicles have left a hideous legacy that will disfigure the park for the whole of the winter, if not beyond. It's actually debatable whether the grass can be reinstated to its former glory.
As the event was organised by St Albans Cathedral and the park owned by St Albans District Council and maintained by John O'Conner, I should like to ask publicly:
You may also want to watch:
What steps will be taken to reinstate the grassland, when and by whom and who will foot the bill?
And crucially, what will be done to prevent a recurrence ?
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
DR ROBERT WAREING,
Claudian Place, St Albans.