SIR, — Can I through your columns appeal for help. Open Door is the emergency night shelter and drop-in facility in Bricket Road, St Albans. The facility has been open for 15 years and is due for refurbishment and alteration. We need to bring the premises
SIR, - Can I through your columns appeal for help. Open Door is the emergency night shelter and drop-in facility in Bricket Road, St Albans. The facility has been open for 15 years and is due for refurbishment and alteration.
We need to bring the premises up to date by altering the accommodation from bunk-bedded, dormitory-style rooms to single bedrooms with their own facilities and install a lift. The cost is likely to be in the region of £900,000 and a grant has been received of £500,000 so we have to raise £400,000. In addition to this we still have to raise £70,000 to £75,000 each year to cover costs.
On Saturday we are holding a street collection in Harpenden town centre and need more volunteers to collect for us. All people need to be is over 16 years old and able to stand for an hour and smile.
So if you can help please phone Ken Blackburn on 01727 810905 - and if you are in Harpenden on Saturday please give generously.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 10 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest