SIR, — It s good to know that pressure from your newspaper and from local politicians has secured the home care package that Mrs Pamela Surridge needs to enable her to return home from hospital (Herts Advertiser, June 12). However this does not address th
SIR, - It's good to know that pressure from your newspaper and from local politicians has secured the home care package that Mrs Pamela Surridge needs to enable her to return home from hospital (Herts Advertiser, June 12). However this does not address the underlying issue which is the shortage of home care workers across Herts and certainly in St Albans.
The policy of supporting people to live safely and comfortably in their own homes is a good one which most people agree with. However it relies on an available workforce. While there are many committed and caring home care workers locally - there are simply not enough of them to ensure a reliable, consistent service for all the people who need it. This means that clients are often kept waiting for visits - which might mean getting up very late or missing a meal - a real problem when taking medication is linked to having some food.
I have raised the issue of capacity within our local home care service with Herts County Council on a number of occasions because of the difficulties with the services that many people are receiving. The recent retendering exercise does not appear to have addressed this issue although it was no doubt financially advantageous.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans District Council.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests