SIR, — I would like to reiterate the comments made (Herts Advertiser, April 17) about the continuing fiasco surrounding school allocations. After the first round of continued interest lists, my son is 82nd on the list for Sandringham School which does not
SIR, - I would like to reiterate the comments made (Herts Advertiser, April 17) about the continuing fiasco surrounding school allocations. After the first round of continued interest lists, my son is 82nd on the list for Sandringham School which does not appear very hopeful.
I don't wish to appear to be another whingeing parent, as I'm fully aware this problem presents itself every year, but isn't it about time someone addressed the problem and actually did something about the school-allocation process?
We have formed a group in Wheathampstead with the main purpose of supporting each other through this stressful time and we know for a fact that some parents in Harpenden are holding onto places at, say Roundwood for a hope of getting Sir John Lawes - a recent Ofsted report has made it the "housewife's choice", to quote a member of Herts County Council.
Those in Harpenden are lucky to have the choice as is, apparently, our right but we have no choice here in Wheathampstead. As parents we would all simply be delighted with a place at any one of the local schools - and all in our catchment so not much to ask for really. We would all like our children to attend a local school, in our community, with people they know and with a safe and efficient means of getting them to and from school.
The whole process needs addressing once and for all. We have lots of ideas if anyone would care to listen.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 8 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 9 The Midwich Cuckoos: Keeley Hawes on Sky's gripping new drama adapted from John Wyndham’s sci-fi novel
- 10 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
Granary Close, Wheathampstead.