SIR – Thank you for reporting on the Special Olympic Summer Games which took place in Leicester in July (Herts Advertiser, August 10). Our St Albans team did us proud there and were up against tough competition from all over Britain. I would like to add t
SIR - Thank you for reporting on the Special Olympic Summer Games which took place in Leicester in July (Herts Advertiser, August 10). Our St Albans team did us proud there and were up against tough competition from all over Britain.
I would like to add that we are so lucky here. St Albans excels with the Special Olympics movement and other areas look to us as an example of how it should be done.
On behalf of my son, a participant, I would like to thank all the volunteers who give time and expertise throughout the year and St Albans Arts Sport and Health Development Team , backed by St Albans District Council for their active support which showed in the amazing medal tally. We really appreciate what you do for us.
Our participants gain so much more from Special Olympics than winning races. They gain self-esteem, social opportunities and discipline but, above all, inclusion when sometimes doors can be closed to them.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteers are always needed and it can be fun! Call Emily Onley 01727 827667 for information.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 A New York state of mind
- 7 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 8 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 9 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 10 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety