SIR – Thank you for reporting on the Special Olympic Summer Games which took place in Leicester in July (Herts Advertiser, August 10). Our St Albans team did us proud there and were up against tough competition from all over Britain. I would like to add t
SIR - Thank you for reporting on the Special Olympic Summer Games which took place in Leicester in July (Herts Advertiser, August 10). Our St Albans team did us proud there and were up against tough competition from all over Britain.
I would like to add that we are so lucky here. St Albans excels with the Special Olympics movement and other areas look to us as an example of how it should be done.
On behalf of my son, a participant, I would like to thank all the volunteers who give time and expertise throughout the year and St Albans Arts Sport and Health Development Team , backed by St Albans District Council for their active support which showed in the amazing medal tally. We really appreciate what you do for us.
Our participants gain so much more from Special Olympics than winning races. They gain self-esteem, social opportunities and discipline but, above all, inclusion when sometimes doors can be closed to them.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteers are always needed and it can be fun! Call Emily Onley 01727 827667 for information.
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 4 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 5 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 6 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire town of Bishop's Stortford
- 8 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 9 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area