SIR – Thank you for reporting on the Special Olympic Summer Games which took place in Leicester in July (Herts Advertiser, August 10). Our St Albans team did us proud there and were up against tough competition from all over Britain. I would like to add t
SIR - Thank you for reporting on the Special Olympic Summer Games which took place in Leicester in July (Herts Advertiser, August 10). Our St Albans team did us proud there and were up against tough competition from all over Britain.
I would like to add that we are so lucky here. St Albans excels with the Special Olympics movement and other areas look to us as an example of how it should be done.
On behalf of my son, a participant, I would like to thank all the volunteers who give time and expertise throughout the year and St Albans Arts Sport and Health Development Team , backed by St Albans District Council for their active support which showed in the amazing medal tally. We really appreciate what you do for us.
Our participants gain so much more from Special Olympics than winning races. They gain self-esteem, social opportunities and discipline but, above all, inclusion when sometimes doors can be closed to them.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteers are always needed and it can be fun! Call Emily Onley 01727 827667 for information.
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 3 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 4 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 5 Restaurant delivers food to households self-isolating due to Covid
- 6 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 7 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 8 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 9 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 10 St Albans City game at Dulwich Hamlet postponed due to positive test in Londoners' squad