Off-peak price cuts
SIR, — One of the more difficult things for the victims of our local train service to have to contend with, is fatuous smooth talking by First Capital Connect (FCC) spokespersons. Wholly irrelevant is talk of future, super-duper, air-conditioned Electros
SIR, - One of the more difficult things for the victims of our local train service to have to contend with, is fatuous smooth talking by First Capital Connect (FCC) spokespersons. Wholly irrelevant is talk of future, super-duper, air-conditioned "Electrostar" 377 trains. The existing trains are comfortable and fast enough if only they were not overcrowded. All the public have ever wanted is reliability, reliability, reliability - that is reasonable punctuality, reliable operation and also comfortable, seated travel.
More carriages were the answer years ago. Luckily some are on the way (Herts Advertiser, November 20) and the downturn in the economy will also, in a macabre way, help - and reduce the need to get to Moorgate.
But difficult times for rail operation lie ahead due to the pending Thameslink 2000 disruption. People are also aware many of the problems are due to the infrastructure - that is Network Rail - and that perturbation can easily escalate on such a high-intensity service.
A great help would be if FCC could offer off-peak season tickets at a much lower cost, valid for travel into London outside peak hours. This would help reduce the rush-hour cramming, eliminate the need to ban day trippers with children from returning at a civilised hour and make the eight-coach trains just tolerable for the next year or two.
You may also want to watch:
St Stephens Avenue, St Albans.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre