Obey the limit
SIR, — To the authors of the recent letters against the introduction of more speed cameras on Hertfordshire roads, I would simply recommend doing what I do — don t speed. The matter of cameras on the roads really does become absolutely irrelevant if you k
SIR, - To the authors of the recent letters against the introduction of more speed cameras on Hertfordshire roads, I would simply recommend doing what I do - don't speed. The matter of cameras on the roads really does become absolutely irrelevant if you keep within the limits. To Mr Eric Bridgstock and the Stockport coroner (Herts Advertiser letters, March 20) I would say that that if I did, for example, habitually drive at 35mph in area with a 30mph limit, then yes, I might be keeping one eye on my speedometer as I approached a camera and thus become distracted.
But there are plenty of other distractions on our roads and simply by keeping my speed down I reduce - and often eliminate - the danger of being caught up in them. Unfortunately, where I live on Holywell Hill, many drivers, especially at night, often seem to think that no cars in front of them on a downhill - or even uphill - stretch. gives them the right to drive as fast as their car will allow. Only last year an elderly lady was knocked down and killed on the pedestrian crossing opposite Café Rouge because of a speeding driver.
So I really don't care whether it's speed cameras, vehicle-activated signs or a greater police presence on our roads. Any of these will do to deter these idiots who break the speed limit and remind them that speeding is an offence.
You may also want to watch:
Holywell Hill, St Albans.
- 1 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 2 Dirty Dancing and The Greatest Showman among St Albans open-air cinema screenings
- 3 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Author explores city's hidden history
- 6 Mental Health Awareness Week: Easing children’s worries and fears after lockdown
- 7 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 8 Whipsnade Zoo to celebrate 90th birthday with fun family activities
- 9 Olympic hopeful Raissa Vickery benefits from 948 Sports Foundation help
- 10 Council elections: who are St Albans Liberal Democrat candidates?