Obey the limit
SIR, — To the authors of the recent letters against the introduction of more speed cameras on Hertfordshire roads, I would simply recommend doing what I do — don t speed. The matter of cameras on the roads really does become absolutely irrelevant if you k
SIR, - To the authors of the recent letters against the introduction of more speed cameras on Hertfordshire roads, I would simply recommend doing what I do - don't speed. The matter of cameras on the roads really does become absolutely irrelevant if you keep within the limits. To Mr Eric Bridgstock and the Stockport coroner (Herts Advertiser letters, March 20) I would say that that if I did, for example, habitually drive at 35mph in area with a 30mph limit, then yes, I might be keeping one eye on my speedometer as I approached a camera and thus become distracted.
But there are plenty of other distractions on our roads and simply by keeping my speed down I reduce - and often eliminate - the danger of being caught up in them. Unfortunately, where I live on Holywell Hill, many drivers, especially at night, often seem to think that no cars in front of them on a downhill - or even uphill - stretch. gives them the right to drive as fast as their car will allow. Only last year an elderly lady was knocked down and killed on the pedestrian crossing opposite Café Rouge because of a speeding driver.
So I really don't care whether it's speed cameras, vehicle-activated signs or a greater police presence on our roads. Any of these will do to deter these idiots who break the speed limit and remind them that speeding is an offence.
You may also want to watch:
Holywell Hill, St Albans.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire