Not so great
SIR, — I was very disturbed to read (Herts Advertiser, September 4) that St Albans District Council is using the services of consultants, complaintsRgreat limited, to deal with some complaints received by the council. Even if there is a vetting process t
SIR, - I was very disturbed to read (Herts Advertiser, September 4) that St Albans District Council is using the services of consultants, complaintsRgreat limited, to deal with some complaints received by the council. Even if there is a vetting process to determine which complaints are referred to these consultants, surely complaints to the council should be dealt with by the council as the provider of services to constituents, leaving it to the complainant to take the matter further if not satisfied.
It is axiomatic that any provider of services must respond to criticism themselves in an open and straightforward way so as to learn any lessons and to take any remedial measures to improve or correct services that might be required. It may be a moot point whether consultants should be called in to assist or advise in dealing with specific complaints but the fundamental responsibility lies with the service provider. Shifting practical responsibility to a third party for some complaints must be wholly wrong.
Under the Freedom of Information Act I have asked the council's chief executive to let me know the cost of the services provided by these consultants, when the contract was signed and the contract term. Many readers would no doubt agree there is too much secrecy in governmental organisations. We all have the right to know how our money is spent.
You may also want to watch:
Clarence Road, Harpenden.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 5 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 6 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 Police hunt man suspected of breaking into Cathedral collection boxes
- 9 April 12: St Albans shops re-open
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area