Not so bad
SIR, — As an occasional train user, mainly in the evenings and at weekends, I can sympathise with much of the recent correspondence about the new car park charges at St Albans City Station. Even if the increase with which I am faced is only 50p, it stil
SIR, - As an occasional train user, mainly in the evenings and at weekends, I can sympathise with much of the recent correspondence about the new car park charges at St Albans City Station. Even if the increase with which I am faced is "only" 50p, it still equates to a 50 per cent rise on the previous £1 charge. I have yet to use the new multi-storey car park to see how much less manoeuvring space I get for the extra money.
It is, however, worthwhile reflecting on car-park charges levied at other locations about the same distance away from central London. On Sunday, June 1, I had occasion to travel to Exeter by train. Given an early departure and a late return - not to mention various engineering works - I decided to drive to Woking and catch my train from there. "On-the-day" car-parking charges at that station where the train operating company is South West Trains - part of the Stagecoach Group - were: Monday to Friday £11.50; Saturday £6; Sunday £3.
On the notice board by the ticket machine there was no mention of any reduction for part-day use on Mondays to Fridays. At least First Capital Collect/NCP Monday to Friday daily rate of £5.80 reduces to £3 after 10am and to £1.50 after 5pm.
About a year ago when I last parked in Watford Junction Station car park, I recall that the fee was either £5.50 or £6 per day with no weekend or part-day use reductions. We seem, perhaps, to be faring less badly than some others.
You may also want to watch:
Charmouth Road, St Albans.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 8 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 9 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 10 8 countries added to UK green travel list