Not an option
SIR, — May I reply to the letter from Chris Naylor headlined Leave park alone (Herts Advertiser, July 3). He mentions me in the letter and I have to tell him that it is simply not an option to leave the park alone. Verulamium Park, St Albans, particularl
SIR, - May I reply to the letter from Chris Naylor headlined "Leave park alone"(Herts Advertiser, July 3). He mentions me in the letter and I have to tell him that it is simply not an option to leave the park alone. Verulamium Park, St Albans, particularly the lake, is in urgent need of attention.
For several years the Heritage Committee, of which I am a member, attempted to obtain financial help for work on the lake from the Environment Agency but when this fell through, the Heritage Lottery Fund was the only source of funding left and they would only consider bids which related to the Park as a whole. Incidentally we are not highly paid -most of us are paid nothing to work on the committee.
I sympathise with Mr Naylor's worries about the efficacy of "public consultations". However if Mr Naylor really is concerned for the park, then I suggest he abandons the plan to write to the Lottery Fund objecting to the proposals. This would not help at all in achieving our shared objective of securing the future of the park.
As for the idea of converting the park toilet block into a restaurant, presumably he knows about the existing Inn on the Park restaurant, even though he lives in far away Wingfield, Bedfordshire.
Come on, Chris, let's pull together, not apart.
- 1 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 10 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
Chair, Verulam Residents Association.