Not an option
SIR, — May I reply to the letter from Chris Naylor headlined Leave park alone (Herts Advertiser, July 3). He mentions me in the letter and I have to tell him that it is simply not an option to leave the park alone. Verulamium Park, St Albans, particularl
SIR, - May I reply to the letter from Chris Naylor headlined "Leave park alone"(Herts Advertiser, July 3). He mentions me in the letter and I have to tell him that it is simply not an option to leave the park alone. Verulamium Park, St Albans, particularly the lake, is in urgent need of attention.
For several years the Heritage Committee, of which I am a member, attempted to obtain financial help for work on the lake from the Environment Agency but when this fell through, the Heritage Lottery Fund was the only source of funding left and they would only consider bids which related to the Park as a whole. Incidentally we are not highly paid -most of us are paid nothing to work on the committee.
I sympathise with Mr Naylor's worries about the efficacy of "public consultations". However if Mr Naylor really is concerned for the park, then I suggest he abandons the plan to write to the Lottery Fund objecting to the proposals. This would not help at all in achieving our shared objective of securing the future of the park.
As for the idea of converting the park toilet block into a restaurant, presumably he knows about the existing Inn on the Park restaurant, even though he lives in far away Wingfield, Bedfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
Come on, Chris, let's pull together, not apart.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 4 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 5 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 6 Police hunt man suspected of breaking into Cathedral collection boxes
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian home on one of St Albans' most prestigious roads
- 9 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Chair, Verulam Residents Association.