Not an option
SIR, — May I reply to the letter from Chris Naylor headlined Leave park alone (Herts Advertiser, July 3). He mentions me in the letter and I have to tell him that it is simply not an option to leave the park alone. Verulamium Park, St Albans, particularl
SIR, - May I reply to the letter from Chris Naylor headlined "Leave park alone"(Herts Advertiser, July 3). He mentions me in the letter and I have to tell him that it is simply not an option to leave the park alone. Verulamium Park, St Albans, particularly the lake, is in urgent need of attention.
For several years the Heritage Committee, of which I am a member, attempted to obtain financial help for work on the lake from the Environment Agency but when this fell through, the Heritage Lottery Fund was the only source of funding left and they would only consider bids which related to the Park as a whole. Incidentally we are not highly paid -most of us are paid nothing to work on the committee.
I sympathise with Mr Naylor's worries about the efficacy of "public consultations". However if Mr Naylor really is concerned for the park, then I suggest he abandons the plan to write to the Lottery Fund objecting to the proposals. This would not help at all in achieving our shared objective of securing the future of the park.
As for the idea of converting the park toilet block into a restaurant, presumably he knows about the existing Inn on the Park restaurant, even though he lives in far away Wingfield, Bedfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
Come on, Chris, let's pull together, not apart.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 3 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 8 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 9 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 10 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
Chair, Verulam Residents Association.