SIR, — Steve Greenwood thinks it s clever to dodge traffic wardens in order to find a free parking place in a residential road near St Albans City Station, rather than to pay for a designated place somewhere (Herts Advertiser letters, February 21). As he
SIR, - Steve Greenwood thinks it's clever to dodge traffic wardens in order to find a free parking place in a residential road near St Albans City Station, rather than to pay for a designated place somewhere (Herts Advertiser letters, February 21). As he rightly guessed though, the residents don't think the same way.
Orient Close suffers simular problems to Ridgmont Road. However the cars are often parked illegally because it is not a wide road and wasn't designed for parked cars lining up bumper to bumper in the road when the designated parking areas are full. Sometimes they are so badly parked as to appear abandoned.
On many occasions delivery vans, and even the refuse collectors, have been unable to get through due to selfish parking. While they can turn around and drive off, I don't think a fire engine or ambulance could afford to do the same.
Mr Greenwood may think it's funny. However for the rest of us having to live with these thoughtless drivers being parked outside our houses all day, it isn't really a laughing matter.
I do hope that if his or other cars get hit by a lorry struggling to get through, that the residents he has so little compassion for are not called upon to be witnesses.
Save the traffic warden, save the world.
- 1 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 2 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 3 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 St Albans haberdashery store celebrates 50 years
- 8 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed
- 9 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 10 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
Orient Close, St Albans.