SIR — It s a shame that Mr Robert Hill s campaign for independence (Herts Advertiser, April 17) should find little favour among members of Harpenden Town Council. However may I suggest an attractive alternative? Perhaps Harpenden should secede from St Alb
SIR - It's a shame that Mr Robert Hill's campaign for independence (Herts Advertiser, April 17) should find little favour among members of Harpenden Town Council.
However may I suggest an attractive alternative? Perhaps Harpenden should secede from St Albans and forge an alliance with Luton instead. This might involve redrawing the county boundary but the benefits are many fold - eg Harpenden folk could enjoy covered shopping at the Arndale, league football with the Hatters (admittedly they've fallen on hard times but they will be back), and a cultural and ethnic diversity which is lacking in St Albans.
Luton's famed Caesar's Palace could reopen in Harpenden and I'm sure the Luton East Garden Organisation for Veterans and Elderly Residents (LEGOVER) would jump at the chance of a twinning arrangement with the South Harpenden Allotments and Gardens Society.
All this comes at a price though. Council tax in Bedfordshire is some two per cent higher than in Herts.
You may also want to watch:
Piccotts End, Hemel Hempstead.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests