No light relief
SIR – Night drivers must be dazzled when turning left from Victoria Street into Bricket Road, St Albans. Two blinding white floodlights shine horizontally from St.Peter s House – the dangers are obvious. What is the purpose of these new floodlights when
SIR - Night drivers must be dazzled when turning left from Victoria Street into Bricket Road, St Albans. Two blinding white floodlights shine horizontally from St.Peter's House - the dangers are obvious.
What is the purpose of these new floodlights when this busy junction is more than adequately illuminated by powerful street lighting?
Light pollution has many less obvious impacts. For example it is claimed that one streetlight can kill 150 or more insects - the primary food source for birds - in one night!
For enlightenment I recommend Blinded by the Light? (2009), published by the British Astronomical Association's Campaign for Dark Skies; www.britastro.org/dark-skies
You may also want to watch:
Flora Grove, St Albans
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved