No light relief
SIR – Night drivers must be dazzled when turning left from Victoria Street into Bricket Road, St Albans. Two blinding white floodlights shine horizontally from St.Peter s House – the dangers are obvious. What is the purpose of these new floodlights when
SIR - Night drivers must be dazzled when turning left from Victoria Street into Bricket Road, St Albans. Two blinding white floodlights shine horizontally from St.Peter's House - the dangers are obvious.
What is the purpose of these new floodlights when this busy junction is more than adequately illuminated by powerful street lighting?
Light pollution has many less obvious impacts. For example it is claimed that one streetlight can kill 150 or more insects - the primary food source for birds - in one night!
For enlightenment I recommend Blinded by the Light? (2009), published by the British Astronomical Association's Campaign for Dark Skies; www.britastro.org/dark-skies
You may also want to watch:
Flora Grove, St Albans
- 1 St Albans' COVID cases continue to decline as UK surpasses "grim" milestone
- 2 The Snow Must Go On: More pics of St Albans in the snow
- 3 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 4 Market depot site could be redeveloped for housing
- 5 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 6 Bishop wages war on sports gambling
- 7 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 8 Date confirmed for parliamentary debate on stamp duty holiday extension
- 9 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 10 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?