No light relief
SIR – Night drivers must be dazzled when turning left from Victoria Street into Bricket Road, St Albans. Two blinding white floodlights shine horizontally from St.Peter s House – the dangers are obvious. What is the purpose of these new floodlights when
SIR - Night drivers must be dazzled when turning left from Victoria Street into Bricket Road, St Albans. Two blinding white floodlights shine horizontally from St.Peter's House - the dangers are obvious.
What is the purpose of these new floodlights when this busy junction is more than adequately illuminated by powerful street lighting?
Light pollution has many less obvious impacts. For example it is claimed that one streetlight can kill 150 or more insects - the primary food source for birds - in one night!
For enlightenment I recommend Blinded by the Light? (2009), published by the British Astronomical Association's Campaign for Dark Skies; www.britastro.org/dark-skies
You may also want to watch:
Flora Grove, St Albans
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to