SIR, -— Over four million people across the UK, including thousands here in Harpenden, choose to receive their state pension and benefits at the Post Office using the Post Office Card Account (POCA). However this service is now under threat. The Governme
SIR, -- Over four million people across the UK, including thousands here in Harpenden, choose to receive their state pension and benefits at the Post Office using the Post Office Card Account (POCA).
However this service is now under threat. The Government is currently considering bids to run a new POCA from 2010 and we have serious concerns that it may decide to award the contract to another bidder.
I believe that the Post Office is best placed to continue to provide this service. They offer local, convenient access for customers who trust the staff and the Post Office brand. It also means we the customers will not have to fill out more forms, be forced to open bank accounts or travel long distances to inconvenient and unfamiliar locations.
Without the POCA, I fear that my post office and more than 3,000 others across the country, will be forced to close. This will further reduce the number of local post offices leading to more difficulties for local residents and businesses.
That is why I have written to my MP, Peter Lilley, asking him to write to the Prime Minister to urge that the Government awards the contract to the Post Office. If it fails to do so, the consequences for the local post offices will be devastating.
Mr B. H. POBJOY,
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 4 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 8 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 9 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 10 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
Kinsbourne Green Post Office, Harpenden.