Must do better
SIR, — I write again about the disgusting service experienced by the parents of the 13 Wheathampstead children who have yet to be allocated a local secondary school. They are in the process of having to sit before the appeal board to justify why their chi
SIR, - I write again about the disgusting service experienced by the parents of the 13 Wheathampstead children who have yet to be allocated a local secondary school. They are in the process of having to sit before the appeal board to justify why their children should be allowed to attend their nearest school. This is a disgrace in itself but is duly compounded by the fact that children who are not eligible are being allocated school places which should rightly be those of the Wheathampstead pupils (Herts Advertiser, May 8).
To add insult to injury, the third run of continuing interest should have taken place last week and this did not happen. Why am I not surprised? Not only are these parents going through the traumatic experience of an appeal, but their one ray of hope is not considered important enough to run. Herts County Council's director of children, schools and families, John Harris, and the admissions board should be ashamed of themselves.
I truly believe that the only option available to these children if their appeals are unsuccessful is to buy a caravan and set up home illegally.
I cannot believe the incompetencies continue year after year but nobody is accountable for their mistakes. The admissions board should put their house in order. All people want is a fair and just system and it's about time they received it.
You may also want to watch:
Pickford Hill, Harpenden.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?