SIR, — I am most concerned to see that our dear museum, loved by many local residents, is now under threat (Herts Advertiser, February 28). Can our wealthy city not afford to modify, upgrade and sort out some rising damp on one of our few remaining assets
SIR, - I am most concerned to see that our dear museum, loved by many local residents, is now under threat (Herts Advertiser, February 28). Can our wealthy city not afford to modify, upgrade and sort out some rising damp on one of our few remaining assets that helps set St Albans apart from other towns.
No. The suggestion is to redevelop the site by pulling down the museum, which could no doubt involve the demolition of the Liberal Club which is another locally-listed building next door. The experience of going to the museum is as much about the building - which sets the scene - as about its displays. If the proposals went ahead we would be left with even more delightful modern blocks of contemporary flats, with no parking, which are springing up all over St Albans eroding our city's character.
Elsie Toms renowned book "The Story of St Albans" explains the position quite neatly: the land is the property of Earl Spencer and he allowed the museum to be built on his property as long as it was to remain a museum. Perhaps the present Earl can still save the museum. Is this scheme really about the interests of our culture and heritage or about councillors attempting to raise money and developers raising profits?
I fear the worst.
You may also want to watch:
Park Avenue, St Albans.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions