MP is called to account
SIR – Surely I must be wrong in surmising that once again Anne Main has managed to exonerate herself from any wrong-doing (Herts Advertiser, October 15). Certainly this must be because the whole truth has not been revealed, i.e. her company director daugh
SIR - Surely I must be wrong in surmising that once again Anne Main has managed to exonerate herself from any wrong-doing (Herts Advertiser, October 15).
Certainly this must be because the whole truth has not been revealed, i.e. her company director daughter living rent-free in her second residence at the taxpayers' expense?
I note that while sucking up to Sir Thomas Legg, Anne Main has at the same time agreed to pay back an erroneous sum of �463.59. Wow! This should put the state back on its feet again - what about the rest?
How easy it has been for all of these wayward politicians to foil the system and we have to remember that, but for the Freedom of Information Act, they would have just blithely carried on. I think it really sad that in today's economic climate, some families are really struggling while these well-off politicians continue to line their pockets with their false claims. It seems so unfair. Even the House of Lords are not exempt.
What hope can there be for us people with all this corruption in government? What directive does it give to the nation for the voting in the next very important elections, with such confusion and uncertainty to contend with? No wonder the country is rapidly going to the dogs.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 4 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 5 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 6 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 7 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 8 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 9 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 10 St Albans Striders shine as Midweek Road Race League makes welcome return
Wilstone Drive, St Albans
SIR - Poor Anne Main! She has to find �460 to pay back excessive expenses she has claimed.
As she points out, she was in no way to blame as "obviously this was an accounting error".
It's scandalous - we are not even providing her with enough money to employ a decent accountant!
The good people of St Albans must be distraught at the thought of their MP falling on hard times.
But wait a minute, surely there is hope? I read somewhere that her daughter has benefited over recent years from an astute financial arrangement. Let us just hope she will help out her poor mother at this difficult time.
NAME & ADDRESS