MP back under fire
SIR –Local Tory MP Anne Main seriously damaged her chances of retaining her seat at next year s general election when your paper quoted her (Herts Advertiser, November 5) as saying that her flat in St Albans had proved to be extremely useful in her role
SIR -Local Tory MP Anne Main seriously damaged her chances of retaining her seat at next year's general election when your paper quoted her (Herts Advertiser, November 5) as saying that her flat in St Albans had proved to be extremely useful in her role of serving her constituents, maintaining close contact with residents and attending up to 200 events a year in the constituency.
The flat in question allowed her daughter, a public relations executive, to live rent-free in Mrs Main's designated second home, for which the taxpayer was paying the bill, whilst Mrs Main continued to live with her millionaire husband in their lavish home 25 miles away.
Astonishingly, Mrs Main claims that "we are not a wealthy family" - a comment which the vast majority of her constituents will find difficult to believe.
The fact remains that her expenses claims were disgraceful and with a majority of less than 1,400, she would be well advised to resign now and seek a new job before she rightfully gets booted out next year.
You may also want to watch:
T EDWARD BEVIN
Watford Road, St Albans
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 4 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 5 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 6 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 7 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 8 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action