MP back under fire
SIR –Local Tory MP Anne Main seriously damaged her chances of retaining her seat at next year s general election when your paper quoted her (Herts Advertiser, November 5) as saying that her flat in St Albans had proved to be extremely useful in her role
SIR -Local Tory MP Anne Main seriously damaged her chances of retaining her seat at next year's general election when your paper quoted her (Herts Advertiser, November 5) as saying that her flat in St Albans had proved to be extremely useful in her role of serving her constituents, maintaining close contact with residents and attending up to 200 events a year in the constituency.
The flat in question allowed her daughter, a public relations executive, to live rent-free in Mrs Main's designated second home, for which the taxpayer was paying the bill, whilst Mrs Main continued to live with her millionaire husband in their lavish home 25 miles away.
Astonishingly, Mrs Main claims that "we are not a wealthy family" - a comment which the vast majority of her constituents will find difficult to believe.
The fact remains that her expenses claims were disgraceful and with a majority of less than 1,400, she would be well advised to resign now and seek a new job before she rightfully gets booted out next year.
You may also want to watch:
T EDWARD BEVIN
Watford Road, St Albans
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 6 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire market town of Hitchin
- 7 Sandridge student takes on running challenge for Mind
- 8 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 9 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 10 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier