MP back under fire
SIR –Local Tory MP Anne Main seriously damaged her chances of retaining her seat at next year s general election when your paper quoted her (Herts Advertiser, November 5) as saying that her flat in St Albans had proved to be extremely useful in her role
SIR -Local Tory MP Anne Main seriously damaged her chances of retaining her seat at next year's general election when your paper quoted her (Herts Advertiser, November 5) as saying that her flat in St Albans had proved to be extremely useful in her role of serving her constituents, maintaining close contact with residents and attending up to 200 events a year in the constituency.
The flat in question allowed her daughter, a public relations executive, to live rent-free in Mrs Main's designated second home, for which the taxpayer was paying the bill, whilst Mrs Main continued to live with her millionaire husband in their lavish home 25 miles away.
Astonishingly, Mrs Main claims that "we are not a wealthy family" - a comment which the vast majority of her constituents will find difficult to believe.
The fact remains that her expenses claims were disgraceful and with a majority of less than 1,400, she would be well advised to resign now and seek a new job before she rightfully gets booted out next year.
You may also want to watch:
T EDWARD BEVIN
Watford Road, St Albans
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire