SIR — What a brilliant idea of Paul Spelzini in his letter (Herts Advertiser, March 19) to relocate the King Harry pub in St Albans to a site opposite Waitrose adjacent to the existing car park. If he had lived here for long enough he would know that he i
SIR - What a brilliant idea of Paul Spelzini in his letter (Herts Advertiser, March 19) to relocate the King Harry pub in St Albans to a site opposite Waitrose adjacent to the existing car park. If he had lived here for long enough he would know that he is merely recycling the same fanciful plan of a few years ago, which was rightly rejected.
Also, his suggestion of "the existing road junction and slip road greened over and landscaped with seating opening up new pedestrian-friendly views of St Stephens" is ludicrous. I can only assume that he likes looking at motor vehicles if and when he walks past this junction and wants to sit down - because there will be plenty of these and even more in the future when the rail-freight depot becomes reality and traffic is backing up even more than now from the M10 roundabout (which will be congested with container lorries) to St Stephens Church.
Make no mistake, St Albans is going to suffer badly from the opening of this depot. It is not just something that is happening some miles away in Radlett and Park Street which will not really affect us here. We already have too many vandals, both official and unofficial, operating in St Albans and I do not want to see my money wasted on hare-brained schemes further destroying our once-great city.
You may also want to watch:
Meautys, St Albans.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 6 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 9 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 10 A New York state of mind